Fandom News of the Day: Amazon Unveils a Fanfic Publishing Platform
Beginning in June, fanfiction authors will be able to self-publish their works from selected partner franchises via Kindle Worlds. Gossip Girl, The Vampire Diaries and Pretty Little Liars are already on board with the project and more are expected to be announced the official launch. However, authors aren’t exactly jumping at the chance to turn their works into cash: by using the platform, authors give all rights to the work to Amazon, who can then license your elements to other authors with no compensation to the original poster. The platform also will not publish stories containing pornography, excessive use of brand names or crossovers, so your Superwholock mpreg (male pregnancy) stories will just have to stay on Tumblr.
The Lonely Island and Solange delightfully misuse semicolons
Remember that time we married Gary? And he wore his wide-collared shirt with the chipmunk embroidery? Man that was a good day.
“This gorgeous Hälssen & Lyon calendar is made of brewable tea. Each day is made of fine pressed wafer thin tea leaves.”
I want this sooooo bad!
What. What. What.
OH EM GEE
I want to know more about you, folks who follow (or just read) the Library Journal Tumblr.
It’s just 8 questions, none of them required, which means you can answer as much or as little as you like. 7 are multiple choice. Super easy!
I’d love to hear from you. Take the survey now!
Send me your library card number; I’ll put random surprises on hold for you.
This is a brilliant idea for the teen who doesn’t know what to read once you’ve developed a rapport with him or her.
I would do this.
Oh my goodness. I need these NPR temporary tattoos.
Her First Library Card!
This week’s First Library Card holder is Jinjoo, proudly showing off her new card (and her sassy hat)! Welcome to the Chicago Public Library Jinjoo!
That hat is amazing.
So I’m officially moving to Charleston, SC in June with my fiance. Yay!
Just wondering if there are any South Carolina library folks out there. I’d love to hear about your libraries and/or favorite places to eat in Charleston.
— Stunned Silence - Roxane Gay, the Rumpus
There are numerous reports of explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. We aren’t speculating on what is going on but our thoughts and prayers go out to those in Boston.
If you are in the area, keep an eye on each other and stay safe. Here’s what you can do to help:
- Looking for a runner? Use this form.
- If you’re trying to call someone in Boston, phone lines are jammed. SMS, Twitter, and Facebook might work better. [Lifehacker]
- Live news updates on The Verge
- Reconnect with loved ones in Boston on Red Cross Safe and Well
- Donate blood at the Boston American Red Cross
- If you have extra blankets and live near the Boston Common, there are a LOT of cold runners being corralled there [@ajsfour]
- Live radio stream: 90.9 WBUR NPR
- If you’re a business in Boston, now would be a good time to unlock your Wi-Fi to help people connect with concerned family and friends. [@strngwys]
- If any runners are displaced and needs a place to stay in Boston tonight, I have connections with space, email me. [@petershankman]
- If any family members of victims need help w/ airfare or more, email me directly and @hope will cover it. firstname.lastname@example.org & 678.641.5016 [@ShaunKing]
- HOTLINES: For families of victims: 617-635-4500 For tips: 1-800-494-TIPS
Our thoughts and prayers to everyone!
Tabulating All Your Favorite Tumblrs
Library Journal: the only Tumblr audience where Darien Library is equally as popular as...
“Raising a child is like taking care of someone who’s on way too many shrooms, while you yourself are on a moderate amount of shrooms. I am not...”
I signed up for the YA authors breakfast thing at ALA when I registered (even though I’m not a teen librarian, oh well!), and they announced the...
WHEN A WORSHIP SERVICE IS NOT WELL THOUGHT OUT